Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well firstly: Every thing you use has bacteria on. It's all scratched to one degree or another after first use. You might not see the scratches without a microscope - but they're there.
    So the whole crevice argument is bogus. Wash stuff in hot water with an antibacterial detergent and 3d printed objects will be as clean as non-3d printed objects.

secondly 'foodsafe' actually refers more to fumes given off when the material is burnt, than it does to eating off the material itself.

Eating plastic - while not a great idea. Is safe. We can't break down abs or pla or pet or ninjaflex, etc in our stomachs - so it's all non-toxic in that respect.
    It just passes straight through the digestive system untouched. Pla might start to degrade, but realistically it's just not in there long enough to break down. And when it breaks down, it does so into non-toxic components.

I've printed some custom stuffer tubes for my sausage stuffer. They work, they're easy to clean and nobody died.
    made them from abs 'cos I like my washing up water to be hot and I have fairly asbestos-like skin. And it was what I had.
    I've hopefully got some clear pet coming for my birthday or christmas - for which I have more food based projects lined up.

here's some pics. For those of you who don't make your own sausages. I like using man made, collagen casing. It never has holes, it doesn't need rinsing and it's not a pita to get on your stuffing tube. BUT - it has very small diameter holes - and the tubes you get with your sausage stuffer never fit inside the packed tubes. so you have to unpack it and squish it onto your stuffing tube for use.
    I made small diameter tubes that can take the collagen tubes packed. So I only need short tubes - which cuts down on the back pressure and makes stuffing no harder than with a longer larger diameter tube.

pikchures:

These are beef, pork and venison snackstix. I run them through my dehydrator for about 6 hours at 64c

And damn tasty they are too :-)

Making custom stuffing tubes was one of the main reasons I wanted a 3d printer. I make a fair amount of sausage - all sizes and types. And I prefer collagen casing for many of them.

I did make a couple tubes with nylon 618 - but it just warps and bubbles too much and they weren't really useable.

I might make a test tube with the white pla. It doesn't melt enough to extrude till 200c, so a bit of washing up water probably won't effect it.

The only issue I've had was a small fragment of a bullet - that I think must have come from the venison as you tend not to shoot cows or pigs with rifles.
    But the 3d printed stuffing tube - 100% success :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-10-2014 at 02:25 PM.