Close

Hybrid View

Senior Engineer
    I don't think you can increase the max speed, the acceleration is there in order to allow faster overall movements.

If you turn acceleration off completely your machine will start jumping at every change of direction.

By reducing the acceleration you are not changing the behaviour at the corner but are just slowing the head between corners. If you increase speed you will start getting an overshoot at the corner.

Maybe I didn't explain it right:
    With the test print (20x20x20mm cube) and the slow acceleration settings it was very clear what the machine did:
    It came to a stop at every corner and started accelerating to max speed (took about 5mm (0-30mm/s)) and then it started deaccelerating about 5mm before the next corner.
    That means that for 10mm in the 'middle' it was running at a max speed of 30mm/s. I think it can easily aim for a max speed (software-wise) of 60mm/s. This would probably mean that is would accelerate for the first 10mm, and then deaccelerate the last 10mm. (in this particular example.)

Because I feel now that the max. speed isn't hurting the machine, but the large acceleration is. But to get my prints to finish before 2017, I'd like it to print as fast as possible while remaining a good quality. I believe the formula for this is low acceleration and 'decent' max speed. Like a truck! Because currently I was running it like a scooter (high acceleration, low max speed) - but that doesn't work out because the mass of the extruderassembly is much fatter.. (like a truck.)

Also, stuff like overshoot can be adjusted with the JFK? JAK? JAJK? values on the onboard preferences. I adjusted these perfectly at my previous settings, but I'll need to set them again as soon as I have my speed-quality set up perfectly. Stay tuned!
    (link: http://www.makerbot.com/sailfish/tuning/ with some explanations of above mentioned values and calibration methods)