Close

Hybrid View

I think this is basically good advice. Learn what you are doing, learn what YOU want from a printer, just get the feel for the entire thing. It might be best to start with one of the "CHEAP" 3D printers, I do not care for the laser cut, wood printers, or other "cheap" printers, however, they are a good way to figure out whether or not you want to be messing with this stuff, with out spending a small fortune. Plus steppers, and other parts might be able to be used on a build when and if you decide you want to build a custom printer.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    My biggest recommendation would be to buy a kit rather than source your own parts. Look for a kit that has good build instructions and a active community that supports it and can answer the questions you will have.

It may be cheaper to source your own parts, but if you're completely new to 3D printing, you're not likely to know enough about the different platforms, drivers, hot ends, electronics, firmware and software to put together a good system. If you're in the US, I'd recommend you look at the MendelMax. If you're in Europe, you should look into one of the RepRapPro machines.

Just in an attempt to gather as much information that may be helpful as possible so others may also reference. What components/parts of the printer are important to have an understanding of or do some research on before building? maybe a brief overview of their purpose... extruder, hot bed, etc...

This is great information. Thank you very much. Please feel free to provide any more info that you may consider necessary.