Quote Originally Posted by Dargonfly View Post
Cool stuff Geoff!! Love it! I really love this mask and was also intrigued by the three 'scratches' on it. Did you paint it on or did you use a soldering iron to create those three scratches?

Are there any tutorials or tips you'd recommend on finishing/painting your prints? Or did you figure everything out by yourself over time?

But really, they're all lovely, keep us updated when you print something new!
Thanks mate, yep you guessed it, soldering iron for the scratch marks. I am currently filming some video tutorials, as most of the painting I do is just a progression of painting lots of models as a kid, and 3D printed things are no different really, just require a bit more finishing. Prime undercoat, dry brush over the top with some gloss enamel to finish it off, nothing special really, just a few decades of practice But I think I can simmer it down into 1 or 2 youtibe vids'. I just want to help people make their prints not look so drab, and with even 30 mins to an hour its easily possible for someone who's never even painted a model before. Alot of my painting is not down to skill, it's just technique, and it's a repeatable technique that you can apply to pretty much all model painting.

I still don't find I can get the detail I am after with regular 3D prints, thats why I want to get into SLA printing more because they are more akin to a resin or vinyl model kit which is what I am used to painting more.

I am currently working on 2 really big ones, one is a full size Robocop helmet and the other a life size poseable facehugger.. and boy is that gonna be popular.. all fully articulated with posable fingers etc...

Put it this way, when I say I do alot of printing..

this is just my surplus batch... because all my air tight containers are full of the new rolls (+ 3 machines loaded.. )

Amazingly my wife hasn't cut any of my gonads off yet.. She told me no more than one printer, I am nearly at 4 now and its taken over an office hahaha

photo (14).jpg