Close

MakerBot's Historic Ships - Models Released

Well it's Wednesday again, and that means one thing. MakerBot has released another interesting collection of large 3D printable models. This week's topic... historic ships. There are 5 models available including one that is free to download. The others will cost $9.99 a piece. Included are models which are made up of as many as 13 separate 3d printed pieces. The ships include The Sao Cristovao, The Bao Chuan, The Trinidad, The Drakkar, and The Endeavor. More details on the ships and how to download them can be found here: http://3dprint.com/17441/makerbot-3d-printed-ships/

Belos is a picture of all 5 3D printable history ships thanks to MakerBot.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I'm printing the Endeavour (since it was the boat that Cpt Cook discovered Australia in) some 226 years ago.

I am printing mine in wood filament, so far finding it extremely hard to print the bows without.... um bowing... but i'll get there. Has to be made out of wood, no excuse!

That's awesome! Please post pictures when done!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    That's awesome! Please post pictures when done!
    Will do, for the price it was hard to say no. There are many pre-existing ship models on the net, but not as specifically designed for printing as these, they did a good job. I dreamed of building a large scale wooden ribbed ship one day, but the kits are all so expensive. The ability to actually print all the parts, the decking etc.. and out of wood, how could I resist!

Student
    Add corben33 on Thingiverse

I wish I could print these...

I wish Makerbot allowed people to purchase their designs who do not own a Makerbot printer. It's strange how they promote open source on Thingiverse and yet do the complete opposite on their Makerbot.com site.