Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
Except that without real time control of the IO you cannot run a 3d printer. That is why people use an Arduino and generally not a Raspi. You can use a Raspi, it will work fine but it will not work whlie you are running Linux in the background, it does not give enough timing accuracy to control any CNC machine that is working at a reasonable speed. To use a Raspi with enough accuracy for the IO you need to write a new OS specifically for the printer.
That is why you do your modeling and slicing in Linux and then reboot into RISC OS, and run the control software as a single tasking application, then you have the real time need covered to with in acceptable tolerances. The same reason you would use DR-DOS/MS-DOS/PC-DOS/FreeDOS to control it on a PC, or Macintosh System 6.0.4 in single tasking mode on a macintosh, or pure Atari TOS on an Atari.Though I do admit that at least for testing I will be running the control software in Linux.Though my control software for Linux is a direct port of the control software for RISC OS, that I wrote first.So I do not see the issue, and I do not think that most would (Linux/Windows/BSD/Mach/BeOS/HaikuOS/etc are not the OS's to use for such things, this is a given).