Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    or just use 5% infill and it'll have something to bridge across.
    Hollow things are usually things with curves, not usually things with large flat areas.
    Also without active cooling you'll get more sag and less bridge.

For the sake of adding a couple grams infill, and a little extra printing time - but getting a perfect model every time. I usually add the infill.

Anyway talking of prints that blow you away. And to prove to myself that I've got the pla settings nailed down. I printed a chainmail bracelet. Designed in openscad :-)
    Not by me - I'm a long way from being able to do this.

Zoomed in

Flexible

Fully Working catch.

Second one being printed, just to prove I can do it again :-)

There's a bit of support on the tongue of the catch that needs removing. Sharp knife and a file did that.
    And viola. If you know anyone who's not blown away by your 3d printer - show them this and I guarentee they will be !

My less stick pla basically devolved down to extrusion temp.
    Keep lowering it till it doesn't stick and then add a few degrees till it does. Job done.
    This came off pretty easily.
    Only takes an hour to print.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:399474/#files

The one I printed is the small one - I'll do the big one next. I have pretty thick wrists (officially large bones - I looked it up).
    This small one should do most women and kids. The big one is another 3 inches or so in length.

Oh yeah - one word of caution. This took makerware a number of hours to slice. I don't know how many I went to bed and left it to it.

I'll try the same thing on simplify3d later and see how much faster it is. Not that much I don't think.
    We'll see.

Oh yeah print settings.
    60mms, 0.27 layer (what it says to do it at) 190 temp and 50c bed temp.

I know I don't need to heat the bed with pla - but making it warm keeps all the variables as samey as possible for consistent results.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-07-2014 at 11:01 AM.