Close

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    Still no user submitted videos on YouTube that I can find. Bummer, I'm really looking forward to seeing it print since New Matter haven't really released any "raw' videos just showing in detail how it looks/sounds.
    ill try to get something up soon. even if its just a short clip

Staff Engineer
    Well, I moved the printer into the house with reluctant agreement from the wife, and it has been printing pretty much nonstop all day Sunday (all things for her rather than for me... that free starter filament is very VERY pink.)
    While I don't have the time to put up a youtube video anytime soon, a good description of the sound would be a "rumbling and grumbling" rather than the usual printer noises of "whining and whistling" with about the same amount of noise a running microwave.

EDIT: Now that I'm home from work, some other notes and first impressions:
    I really wish I could take a look under the hood of their slicer, particularly the way it does infill seems counter-intuitively effective.
    I didn't notice until seeing it in action that the z-axis screw doesn't ever turn. The motor for the z-axis is in the top portion of the machine and turns a nut that the head rests on. It's a really odd design decision, but considering how much the stringing (or in the case of this pink PLA, plastic cotton candy) gets on everything, I can understand the benefits of the system.
    Seriously, stringing alone is reason to keep the lid on this thing. The fan in there blows like a tornado and those strings get everywhere if you run it without the cover.
    The pinion x-y system does indeed make a very distinctive texture on the print, but it's so subtle that it doesn't even interfere with mechanical movement. But if you know what to look for, a MOD-t print is instantly distinguishable.
    The slicer seems to default to 100 micron resolution for uploaded parts, with no option I could find to decrease resolution... For the vast majority of what I'm printing, that's an arduous slowness.
    Last edited by Feign; 10-12-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Been playing around with my MOD-t for a week now and I'm absolutely in love. It's my first foray into 3D printing and it's left a great impression; the thrill of turning .stls into tangible objects is an excellent experience. The brown-sugary smell of it printing is a welcome plus.

Mostly, I've been satisfied with the prints themselves. The test print and the duck from the store came out flawlessly. The phone stand printed well, but has a glob near one of the cosmetic holes in the back part.

Problems arose when I tried to do custom prints from things I've downloaded form Thingiverse. I tried the iPhone 6 + Watch stand combo, and while the print completed, halfway through the print translated back and to the right. It makes for cool glitch art, but sadly things like "being able to feed a charger in from beneath" and "using the speaker amplification area" are disabled. Twice when I tried to print the articulated octopus, once for the head and once for a set of the joints, the filament broke and stopped feeding into it, resulting in two bad prints. Eventually I got them to print with great detail, but sadly they don't join together. I think that's more of a PLA vs. ABS problem than it is a MOD-t problem.

The last concerns I have is that it frequently shows up as being disconnected, which results in me having to go power cycle it so it's picked up by the site when I try to print. I can't get the offline printer utility to find the printer either, despite it getting picked up by the store in my web browser. It also gives no indication of how long a print has left to complete, a feature I expected since it gave an estimate during the test print.

Overall though, I'm happy with my purchase and with the promise of continued firmware support, I'm very excited to see how my clean little cube comes along in reliability and print quality! It'd be nice to have an official announcement page to obsessively check for when firmware updates go live.

Has anyone found any YouTube videos yet from users? I can't find any except ones from the official New Matter channel. Was hoping to see some "raw" footage to hear what it sounds like and get a feel for the real unit, not so glossy, if you will.

It is a little noisy (different than my other very noise (fan) on the I3). The rack and pinion definitely isn't quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMHi39zncQ

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    Has anyone found any YouTube videos yet from users? I can't find any except ones from the official New Matter channel. Was hoping to see some "raw" footage to hear what it sounds like and get a feel for the real unit, not so glossy, if you will.
    Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_049B56ifQ

Is there a firmware change log anywhere? It would be nice to know what each firmware release changed instead of guessing and looking for differences. (i.e. just updated to 0.2.0)

Just received mine about an hour ago very nice design, packaging and information. I only have one issue so far I am trying to diagnose. I cannot get it to connect to either of my wifi networks at work. Both are 802.11-N. I think one is setup to do B/G+N. Any others having this issue? Did the firmware update out of the box and tried their only suggestion online (power off and disconnect the usb and try again).

What exactly does the Temperature Calibration do? At first I thought it was broken because it looked like it was printing but nothing was extruding. It looks like the nozzle parks just above the surface then moves back and forth many times slowly lowering? until it hits the bed then raises up and starts to heat and print.

Question or feedback. My test print just finished but the desktop shows 9 minutes remaining and printer at 71% complete (status shows Printing). So there is a bug there. This is from the utility directly over usb.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast