Sorry about not getting this up last night, there was kind of a whirlwind of personal stuff that kept me off the internet after work. Not the least of which being a very fast-hitting cold that still has me too tired and sore to really paraphrase the weekly newsletter, so I'll just post up the first part word-for-word. They've changed the wording slightly, calling last week's prototype the "looks-like, works-like" prototype. Which I'm sure was in response to the same kind of confusion that was here as to weather or not the new prototype actually works.
Quote Originally Posted by NewMatter
In this newsletter, we'll update you on the whereabouts of two team members, chat briefly about 3D artists and share a handful of our first test prints from the looks-like-works-like prototype we showed you last week.

Rob and Alan left for China last Saturday! They will be in the country for two weeks, hopping around to a couple of different cities but spending most of their time visiting factories in Shenzhen. If you have any recommendations for things to see or places to eat, we started a little facebook convo on our page here.

We're on the hunt for 3D artistic talent. If you or someone else you know is interested in designing for our New Matter Store, send a portfolio to imadesigner@newmatter.com.

Last week you saw the printer. This week, it's all about the prints!

Well, there you have it. I sure would have loved to see video of it printing. The comparison bunny is nice, it looks like they've probably been working on the code a bit in addition to just cleaning up the hardware. I wonder how well it would work with regular g-code from Cura or Slic3r. The precision test looks absolutely beautiful, and a nice choice of model for it in a torture test kind of way. The pencil holder is probably for the 'practical uses only' readers, but it's not exactly a hard print so I can't get too excited about it (looks like there was a slight lift on one of the corners, too, but it seems to have not effected the rest of the print, which is intriguing).