Close

Hybrid View

3D Printed Magifying Glass on Form 1+

Have you ever had the desire to print a crystal clear lens on your 3D printer? Well if you have an SLA printer like Formlabs' Form 1+, then you may be in luck. That's right! Using the Clear resin which is offered by formlabs, one of their engineers named Craig Broady set out to 3D print a magnifying lens. The full details and instructions can be found here: http://3dprint.com/16561/formlabs-3d-printed-lens/

Let us know if you have tried to 3D print a lens like Broady did, and which 3D printer you used (I assume this would not be possible on any type of FDM printer): Below is a picture of his finished, polished magnifying lens.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    now that's pretty amazing !

Wonder if you could print a fresnel lens on an fdm. The build lines wouldn't necessarily be an issue on that.

This is great news for me. I'm actually opening an eyeglass shop in December and it's called Monocle Optical and one of my biggest features is going to be 3D printing frames. My Form 1+ is ordered and on the way as of a month ago and I plan on making monocles as promo items. Printing a lens will cost more than actually ordering an optical lens but I'll be making some custom shaped glasses for a few other businesses where the lens is the frame... It's good to know the clear resin will polish to virtually clear.