Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Chromat's Formula 15 Line Features 3D Printed Apparel

We are beginning to see the Spring/Summer 2015 collections released by different fashion designers, and it is very surprising to see how many more are utilizing 3D printing within their designs. Chromat just released their SS15 Formula 15 collection, and 4 of the pieces feature 3D printing. Some of these, I must admit are rather bizarre but some are actually pretty nice looking as well. Read and see more at: http://3dprint.com/14980/chromat-3d-printed-fashion/

Honestly I would expect a bit higher resolution in regards to print quality from what I can see of the face mask on the left. Looks kind of messy and if ABS print material, looks like it could use a bit of an acetone bath for a smoothing affect (there's a "noisy" texture appearance from the photo.) In addition, and speaking from an experienced modeler's POV, I have to say making a basic cage form is pretty simple and effortless to execute in 3d programs, and for designers who are fortunate enough to have their works appear on their runway, they should perhaps be a bit more detailed since the entire point of 3d printing is not just the fact that it was printed, but that the printing process can achieve forms that would be incredibly difficult to fabricate in metal, fabric, etc (by hand.) All of the items here could have been sewn in leather/starched or soldered in metal pretty easily. To add a touch of optimism to my critique, i can appreciate the sophistication/simplicity of the wrist jewelry and cage bra in the middle photo. Despite the relatively simple design of both, they look nice. But the incredibly basic cage form on the runway is ultra recycled in recent years, and I'm tiring of the unoriginality.