Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

eXtrudy App for Android Launches - 2d to 3D

eXtrudy was just introduced to the Android Store. It's a completely free application which will allow you to easily turn pictures or drawings into 3D printable 3d models. The app was just ported over from Windows. The creator is not trying to make a profit from it, and intends to hopefully port eXtrudy over to iOS devices soon. More details on this app can be found here: http://3dprint.com/14521/extrudy-android-3d-app/

Below is an example of a 3D print created from an eXtrudy model:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    never heard of this - and it's available for windows ?
    Very cool :-)

Guess it goes on the positive side of the: why do i need a smartphone' list.
    Although whether anything will ever outbalance the one entry on the negative side: 'once my number gets out to clients the bloody phone will never stop and people will expect me to answer texts'. Is doubtful :-)

But I'm definitely going to go play with the windows version - cheers :-)

Hi,

yes - the windows version is available since summer 2013 and should be quite stable. It has nearly the same features as the Android version, although the generation of the mesh takes a little bit longer. The optimizations from the Android port will be integrated into the next windows release.

On first glance this software looks like it is worth further exploration. I've downloaded the Windows version.

I like the fact that the starting point can be a sketch. Some of us old timers still like to work with pencil and paper.

I'll get back to you later. I'm heading off to watch the tutorial videos.

Old Man Emu

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Well i tried it and did get a prinatable item.

But all the back and forwards in the menu system was confusing, and I could not get my head around how to make the object thicker without changing all the other dimensions as well.
    Also the add hook menu system was almost unuseable and I gacve up on trying to get the loop aligned. Just could not move anything consistently in the direction I wanted.

To be fair I was just trying to turn a black and white drawing into a printable object - I wasn't trying to make a pendant.

And it did sort of do that.

But I think I'll learn how to use inkscape to make dxf files in future. It has to be simpler :-)

Problem: The tutorial videos have no sound!!!!!!.

The tutorials seem to be very good, but here is a case where a word is worth a thousand pictures.

An option would be to write the script for each tutorial and publish them as Google Docs. This way a document written in your primary language could be translated into the primary language of the viewer.

OME
    Last edited by old man emu; 09-11-2014 at 09:58 PM.

Hi,

I see if I could do anything about it - maybe I'll create a commented version for one or two tutorials. But a real manual would be too much work at the moment - I'm pretty busy with fixing the app (after I come home from work...)

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Problem: The tutorial videos have no sound!!!!!!.

The tutorials seem to be very good, but here is a case where a word is worth a thousand pictures.

An option would be to write the script for each tutorial and publish them as Google Docs. This way a document written in your primary language could be translated into the primary language of the viewer.

OME

Since the app has a linear workflow which uses the design of a classical assistant/wizard, the steps have to be done in a strict order. E.g. changing the height of the object is done in the "Generate The surface" step. At a later point of time (after creating the 3d mesh) a non-uniform scaling (e.g. object thickness) would cause unpleasant deformations.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Well i tried it and did get a prinatable item.

But all the back and forwards in the menu system was confusing, and I could not get my head around how to make the object thicker without changing all the other dimensions as well.
    Also the add hook menu system was almost unuseable and I gacve up on trying to get the loop aligned. Just could not move anything consistently in the direction I wanted.

To be fair I was just trying to turn a black and white drawing into a printable object - I wasn't trying to make a pendant.

And it did sort of do that.

But I think I'll learn how to use inkscape to make dxf files in future. It has to be simpler :-)

so I've added a version with audio for tutorial 10 (might still take a while until the upload is done) - I hope it proves useful to you:

http://youtu.be/hTTwjfHuhcA

How's this for good support from the developer?

Keep it up, eXtrudy

OME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast