In the world of home-built aircraft, also called amateur aircraft, it is a common construction practice to weld a bushing into a tube. Through this tube will pass a fastener, the forces of which will be applied to the length of the bushing, rather than being applied in such a manner as to crush the tubing. The bushing will be in compression and the forces will be distributed along the perimeter of each end via the weld.

I learned of a product of similar application while involved in ultralight aircraft construction. Aluminum is a more common material for ULA construction, which can be challenging and expensive to weld. The product was called an insta-bush or insta-bushing and comprised a cylinder and two end caps, akin to a top hat with an open top. The caps were pushed into the sleeve which was cut to proper length for the diameter of the tube into which it was inserted. The sleeve length prevented crushing of the tubing by the fastener and the end cap flanges distributed the side forces as required. Stainless steel construction prevented corrosion of dissimilar metals.

I recall at the time that these particular products were astonishingly expensive, even for the last century. A search presented only a single practical link and US$15 shows me it's still astonishingly expensive.

One should be able to create an equivalent, perhaps without the flanges on each end by drilling a heat set insert as noted previously, or by cutting appropriate tubing to length and heat setting in the part. The advantage of the former is that there are knurlings to better distribute the forces, while the latter has only a smooth surface, unless one uses a lathe to knurl it. I suppose one could apply CA to the tubing, after scuffing it a bit for better bonding.