Close

Improvement of a surface on a supported print

Hi,

Firstly, hello thisis my first post

I have a Replicator2 running sailfish through Makerbot. It has an upgraded nozzle so it can printflexible filaments and I print on a glass build plate with Fructis extreme hold(nothing beats it!

So the problem Ihave is that I'm trying to print a part for a project I'm working on but thesurface on the underside is real badbecause of the support structure I think - or maybe it's to do with the first layer which sits on top of the support structure I'm not sure.

Is there a settingin the slicer profile I could amend that wouldfix it??

Here's a couple ofpics of both sides of the piece, thanks

poor_surface_part.jpg

no help on this

Staff Engineer
    The real solution would be using a second extruder to lay down soluble support structures, so that you wouldn't have to choose between bad filling due to unsupported filament or having to recarve the undersurfaces of your parts. High-end FDM printers do that, but none of the cheap ones seem to have implemented it yet.

Andrew Werby
    Last edited by Geoff; 09-09-2014 at 11:02 PM.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    The real solution would be using a second extruder to lay down soluble support structures, so that you wouldn't have to choose between bad filling due to unsupported filament or having to recarve the undersurfaces of your parts. High-end FDM printers do that, but none of the cheap ones seem to have implemented it yet.

Andrew Werby
    Most of the lower end machines are more than capable of changing the way support structures work to fix such an issue. For his case simply re-orientating the object would remove most of the problems.