Quote Originally Posted by swoop_ds View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading, youtube watching, and forum creeping lately.

I think the printer for me is a robo 3d R1 printer. Are the printers that ship now still plagued with little problems that need to be fixed? (there are a bunch of youtube videos about fixing little problems) and do the units still take a long time (multiple weeks) to ship?

Would this printer dissapoint me for a first printer or would it be a good start?

Thanks,
-Dave

I've have an R1 for about 9 months now. I received my machine before any upgrades were made by the ROBO team. The ROBO 3D is an excellent machine for the money. Its by no means the best but its the best option at this price point.

Since you just purchased it, you'll receive the upgraded bed and linear bearings, as well as SD card capability I believe. This is a drastic improvement over my original. The only other problems I've had is the wires for the heating cartridge and thermistor breaking. When my thermistor broke I emailed the team and they sent me two new ones for free. I made the repairs to the heating cartridge myself without bothering to contact them.

Overall, the ROBO 3d is a great starting printer. Problems and a steep learning curve are a guarantee with any machine, so this is a great place to start. Also the ROBO3d forums are fairly full and active so, post there with any questions or problems.

-Brian