Close

Threaded View

Need design advice for interlocking parts

New to the board and to 3D printing, and looking for advice on finalizing the design, and choosing the material and printing technology. I have designed a pair of interlocking plugs in Sketchup to lock the ends of two boards at 90 degrees. See photo - shows two separate plugs, but I changed the design to make the two into a single plug, as shown in the Sketchup model. The two boards are extrusions made from Resysta, a manufactured material used for, amongst other things, siding on a building. The two interlocking parts "plug" into the ends of the extruded boards and lock them together. See second photo. I need 20 sets of these plugs. The installation is outdoors in Chicago. I can create .stl files from Sketchup and upload to a 3D printing site, but I'm not sure if I need to allow space around the "tenons" for clearance? Will the parts that fit into the other parts need to be a smidgen smaller? I do want a "friction-fit" not a loose fit.I thought of specifying TPU for flexibility, but the colors are very limited - the boards are brown, so I want the plugs to be a similar color. Would a different material be better?Any advice would be appreciated. Happy to share the Sketchup file, too if that would help.Cheers,Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by akirson; 10-25-2022 at 02:39 PM.