Well, I agree, I'm being ambitious when I say .001" tolerance. I think I'd be happy with .01 tolerance honestly. Possibly even .05 I'm not going to be prototyping engine pieces. Mostly mounting brackets and whatnot.

I have experience with solidworks and inventor, but I'm not a pro at either one. I can do some basic stuff, but I'm not at the level of being able to model intricate, complicated parts. I would like to find a solid 3d modeling program that's similar to inventor or solidworks for use at home, that's not super expensive. Solidworks was what I used at school, and autodesk inventor is what my employer has available.

I'm new to 3d printing at home. Previously I would just email the stl file to a tech center and they would print it for me. I will have to learn a lot about tuning. I didn't realize there were things you could do to tune/adjust the tolerance capability of the printer. I'm more familiar with things like encoders/servo motors which there's not really any "tuning" to do with them. you install the servo/encoder into the robot joint and plug it into the wire harness.

I'd upload the step file, but it's rejecting as an invalid file type