Hi, newbie to 3D printing. I've spend about 2 weeks just reading reviews and researching. I'm sure some off these websites get paid for promoting a model, so I figured what better than to ask hobbyist in a community.

My requirements:
1. Highest quality print, smooth surface (I don't want to see the string lines, I want smooth surfaces, I realize this means it will print slower possibly and I'm fine. I understand the quality of the stepper motor is what determines quality)
2. Under $1000
3. Will admit I have not done as much research on material, I expect mostly will print PLA and PETG. I know Direct drive is better for the more flexible material, but likely wont do much of that. Looking to initially print RC parts for now, possibly even a fuselage and wings down the road (hence why smooth surface is critical)
4. Reliability - I want a printer that prints, I don't want to spend hours each print to tinker once it is dialed in.

Everything I've read has let me to the Prusa Mini+ or i3 MKS+. I would get the kit, not afraid to assemble, I'm an engineer so I tinker with everything. But I don't want to tinker with it every print, would like reliability and set it and forget it.

Based on my requirements, what do you all recommend?

Cheers