Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Currently just started the resin journey.
    One thing I've decided to start with is water washable resin.

This totally eliminates the need to keep a vat of isopropyl alcohol around. A Highly volatile and flammable liquid.
    With water washable resin, I can just let the model drip 'dry' and then wash it under a tap with a soft brush.

As you're making dioramas, you don't need particularly special resin types.

The tough and flexible ones look like fun, but not necessary for a static model and cost more than a basic water washable resin.

Currently about to make my curing box.

As far as the machine goes - make sure you get one with a mono screen and 2 or 4k pixel density.
    This both speeds up the printing process and gives higher detail.

the elegoo mars 2 pro - is almost identical spec to the voxelab proxima 6, I've got arriving wednesday. But the elegoo mars is nearly twice the price.
    Also the voxelab machines have linear rails and I can't see that listed anywhere on the elegoo mars 2 pro spec sheet.
    You WANT linear rails :-)

Also worth noting - the voxelab machines are made by flashforge - one of the oldest and best 3d printer manufacturers.
    And the flashdlprint software is pretty good.
    Been playing with it today.

Also, consider the prusa mini for an entry fdm printer - better electronics than the mk3s, and what prusa are using in their own printfarms.
    And a lot cheaper than the mk3s :-)

Your $1000 would not only buy a voxelab 6 or 8.9 (4k screen, larger print volume and dual linear rails) but it would also buy a prusa mini, with money left over for resin, curing kit and some filament.

Both prusa and voxelab/flashforge have their own free slicers - and both are among the best around.

Anyway - that's what I would do/have done :-)

I mean i wouldn't personally buy a prusa - but I've been fdming for 9 years, so I/m not looking for the prusa plug and play experience any more.
    But for a first fdm printer - you could do a whole lot worse.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-10-2022 at 03:22 PM.