Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay, so you can't use aresin printer to make a coffee mug - YET !

Given how many large scale industrial resin machines are going to be sold in 2022 - it's just a matter of time before someone works out how to make food safe resin :-)

Theoretically, fully cured resin is pretty inert. But the base chemicals are really really nasty. I reckon with clear resin and my blast curing chamber the fully cured part is covered.
    It's just the long term effect of hot coffee on resin that's not been researched, apparently by anyone, ever.
    Kinda weird i don't know any scientist who doesn't run on coffee :-)

So for now, I'll go back to thinking about making a coffee mug out of petg.

The sink drain cover I made about 9 months ago from petg, is currently still in minty fresh condition, and that gets boiling water poured over it many times a week.
    Also the coffee that comes out of mymachine is nowhere near boiling.
    I can print watertight models as thin as 1.5mm, so as long as I print totally solid at with the right settings, that aspect is also not an issue.

Would just be nice to get the detail level of resin on a mug. A really nice relief of my dog - for example.

Might try that on petg one, could work :-)

Oh yeah, I've left the curing chamber lamp on for a couple of hours. The metal housing gets slightly warm to the touch, the resin and box interior don't get noticeably hot.
    So that's all good :-)

With any luck, I'll be printing something this time tomorrow.

I do have a couple ideas of how to use the machine for saleable items, things that just don't look that great in fdm and don't work properly in laser cut acrylic.
    Plus the added resolution should dramaticlly increase what i can put on them logo-wise :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-11-2022 at 03:14 PM.