Close

Hybrid View

I am also looking for a 3D printer doing the same task of jobs as you do. Your final product seems a bit non-smooth. How would you overcome this issue? Polish it?

Quote Originally Posted by chekming1225 View Post
    I am also looking for a 3D printer doing the same task of jobs as you do. Your final product seems a bit non-smooth. How would you overcome this issue? Polish it?
    First off; check out this entire topic; somebody here already makes a lot of figurines and paints them, you can see the result that a FDM printer can have there.

Then it depends on what kind of models you want to make; with FDM you will keep having these small lines; but with the right settings they can be not that noticeable / easily filled with some primer. - OR in the case of smooth 'ceramic'-like statues you can use ABS and use the acetone vapor chamber.
    If you want models right out of the printer that resemble the PVC figurines then you should probably look into a SLA printer... but I'm not 100% sure since I don't have experience with it.

The reason I went with a FDM printer even though SLA delivers higher quality finish is because FDM printer are cheaper, and allow for more prototyping/testing (because of the lower cost) - and I love to keep testing different things. If I really need a high quality print I can always send it to Shapeways/3D hubs. My printer is for prototyping and other in-house usage. + it's also quite fun, and the lower cost allow you to keep having fun.

If you have any more question please ask; but know that I've only recently started this and there are many more experienced people out here.
    Regarding the products I showed here; these are still tests, I'm not sure if I will ever show a finalized product here, but I'll probably show better test-products in the near future (still learning.)