Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's a little overpriced, but to be honest for me I would rather pay a couple extra hundred bucks to save me individually ordering all the parts
    ^this !

Plus, you have change of ordering wrong part, or have part that dont fit toghether, etc... buying a "kit" is way easier, even more if it's the "first" printer !

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    ^this !

Plus, you have change of ordering wrong part, or have part that dont fit toghether, etc... buying a "kit" is way easier, even more if it's the "first" printer !
    Honestly, truer words could not be spoken. When I decided to build mine, I decided that no kit was worth the price or met my criteria. After hours and hours of work on this thing to make it work I understand the practicality of a kit. This was not my first 3d printer kit, it was my first 3d printer period. It borrows some parts from the original Rostock, then other parts are self made, and some others are ideas to try out from others. I can say its been more than a uphill battle. In the end I spent about the same amount of money as buying a kit, had to do my own engineering, had to do my own tweaking, had a very steep learning curve. The easiest thing on this printer was the software.

Now I got it into my big fat head to design a lasshless geared extruder that utilizes laser printer gears I salvaged, with ~ 2-1 ratio. Again a uphill battle. Sometimes its nice to get things that are meant to work together in one large bundle. Think of lego set vs a pile of wood and a saw with nails as a comparison.

So if your a masochist, do your own engineering. If not buy a kit and have fun.