Close

Thread: BTT Octopus Pro

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

BTT Octopus Pro

Well there is a new board out from BigTreeTech: https://www.biqu.equipment/products/...39427221848162 There is a video ad / commercial for it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYRrK3WHTo There are 2 versions of this board. One with a 180mhz processor with 512k flash like the Octopus I have and then there is a version of the pro with a slightly slower 168mhz processor that has 1m flash that boasts being able to run all of RRF without problems. And this board came out just in time. Just today I let the smoke out of the Octopus board in my IDEX. So the Pro is on it's way. So now I just have to figure out if I want this on the IDEX or the TronXY. It's coming from China so I have some time to decide.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Ya so the Pro will go in the TronXY and the Octopus that was sitting in there will now go in the IDEX. The swap was pretty straight forward. Maintaining clean electrical goes a long way torwards making life simple when these things happen..

This failure was my fault. The BTT Octopus is a great board and this very low mileage failure should not reflect on their reliability.

This failure happened while I was trying to install some neopixels on my IDEX. I successfully killed the microsd card. I can not recognize it with diskpart. It is dead.

I also hurt both neopixel sticks. In this life if you're gonna be dumb and stupid you gotta be tuff. So I ordered new sticks and swapped the boards. Can you see where the smoke came out from?

It is that little lump in the middle of the STM32F4 chip. It didn't let out a whole lot of smoke but certainly enough. And it gave the electrical smell. I didn't wire anything wrong. I just had a soldered wire clipping land on the mainboard in between some male pins and I didn't see it until after I saw the smoke. It took me a minute to find what I had done. Here is a few close up shots of the chip..

It is hard to see in the below picture but it is right below the number 1..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah smoke's never a good sign lol

what is 'RRF' ?
    boasts being able to run all of RRF without problems.
    RepRap Firmware - says so on the page :-)

So what does a tmc5160 do that the previous generations don't ?

I could look it up, but seeing as you probably already know....

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    TMC5160 has 4 amp support for the big stepper motors. I have some they are SPI communications only and are overkill for all that we are doing here.

RRF is RepRap Firmware. With 512k flash we are limited and can run RRF in a limited capacity. But with the 1m flash we have room for all of RRF and its features. I have still never ran the RRF so I can not speak with authority on this subject. ....yet.

Also I am sorry for the clean pictures of the chip. I wanted to see how bad the damage was so I wiped the chip clean. There was a tiny bit of burn/soot/ash type material around the lump. Really just a tiny bit, but enough to at least tell something burnt right there. My bad for wiping away the carnage.

df

on the thought of his buddy zhuge qing, zhang chulan and feng baobao came to resolve the case with the help of "anywhere" business enterprise. how does zhang chulan display his competencies to assist the king trap the black hand backstage? what wonderful overall performance will zhuge qing, wang ye and others have? who're the people who covet the "8 wonders"? "under one guy-becoming a member of the world" may be introducedsoon!voip phone

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    You can blow me slowly for posting your spam in my thread there meetaddsay.

Also I just wanted to say that first I was wrong. TMC5160 drivers support 3a not 4a. or 4a is peak. But also there are new TMC5160 drivers out. TMC5160 Pro drivers that are made to work with up to 60v like the Octopus Pro.

I do not use big stepper motors and do not think I will get to play with the 60v to print plastic but it is cool to see all the new features coming into our little hobby space. Here is a link to them new 5160 drivers: BTT BIGTREETECH TMC5160 Pro Driver Chip – Biqu Equipment

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    It came today..

The installation, setup, and use of this board can be seen in my coreXY thread here: My First CoreXY (3dprintboard.com)

Glucofort is an advanced blood sugar support formula that eliminates the root cause of type 2 diabetes. Glucofort is a herbal and natural dietary supplement to maintain healthy blood sugar in the body. Follow glucofort reviews here.

apps

Every laptop on this list has been reviewed by our team of experts, with both synthetic benchmarks and real-time use helping us to assess the performance. If you’re looking for a new laptop, be it for reading emails, playing video games, or just snooping on social media, then you’re in the right place. Get Best Laptop in India 2022 here.