Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I set up the esp 12s with the basic mks firmware.
    So I know it works.

the aerial is not good enough to connect to my router, but the esp generates it's own wifi network - it's a clever little chip with a full router built in.

I could connect both the pc and my pocket computer (mine is used for that much much more than as a phone) to it's own network with no problem.

But that's almost all you can do with the stock firmware. It's pretty useless.
    There is a custom firmware that apparently adds all the stuff you actually need.
    ie: uploading a file via wifi to the sd card. And monitoring temps and starting and stopping prints.

The firmware setup process looked a bit fiddly, so I've yet to try it.
    Plus i can't remember what it was called and will need to do a forum search - again lol

Plus all you do is drop the esp firmware on the sd card and it just hoovers it up on printer boot.
    I do like that about these boards. No buggering around.

halfway through changeover:

esp chip

Ribbon cable clip

I should really have made it from pla - but alexa's got petg loaded and I couldn't be arsed to change it over.
    Plus the petg is a bit more flexible, so more robust for this particular use.
    Anyway it worked, and that's 99% of what counts :-)
    When you're dealing with something 0.5mm thick, tough is often better than hard lol

If you're wondering about the little 'teeth' at the ends. I didn't leave a big enough gap between the arms and the ribbon press - so had to clip a bit off each side with the side clippers.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-28-2021 at 07:52 AM.