Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Here's the stone and the print of the first scan - yes it's a mirror image - my fault.

Scan being printed

And the second scan:

The app also measures the thing being scanned.
    BUT - only in comparison to the a4 sized mat.
    If you use a smaller mat the object comes out larger than reality and with a larger mat, it comes out smaller.

I haven't found anyway of letting it know the size of the mat - which would be useful.

So when you condier tha hassle of normal photogrammetry, this is a major improvment.
    Particularly with the built in automatic pointcloud to solid mesh conversion.

Once I've made a better turntable and figured out how to usea tripod.
    things should be much quicker.

Bt on the whole - if you own a fast android device or an apple phone or pad - this is a really good and super cheap way to scan things that can be used in 3d printing or ar or as models in video games or presentation software.

The sling missile in question comes from guam and was recovered from the ocean. It clearly shows damage from impact so was undoubtably used in battle.
    This dates it to at least 500 years old, and may even have been used in the 2 year conflict between the chomorro natives of guam and the spanish invaders.

It's made from coral - I have no idea what kind - possibly brain coral.
    And even in it's damaged state weighs around 70 gms.

Sling missiles spin extremely fast when thrown from a sling - so it would have been like being hit by a cheesegrater attached to a drill !

I'm not sure at this stahe - but I suspect this is the worlds first detailed 3d scan of a coral sling missile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-02-2021 at 06:41 AM.