Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    have you tried abs slurry ?
    when I used abs - before I came to my senses - some clear abs dissolved in acetone and painted on the bed really gave excellent adhesion.

But, I never managed to print abs without a using a raft.
    And I've never used a raft with any other filament.

I did try a quick asa print the other day and yes - it too warps like a bastard.
    But I will say ASA doesn't stink up the workshop like abs.

As was mentioned, magigoo is excellent and alittle really does go a long way.

Super Moderator
    I'm only printing with ASA at the moment, some things that have helped me to minimise warping that I've found so far....

Enclosed printer
    Preheat the bed and then wait 20-30 minutes before starting a print to get inside the enclosure warm.
    Nozzle temp 255.
    Bed 94
    Speed 25-30 mm......lower better
    On no account open the enclosure until everything has cooled right down to ambient, ideally print finishes at bed time and is taken off the bed next morning.

Magigoo on the bed and if any sticking problems when cold just dribble some water round the edge and wait a short while for it to soften the Magigoo.

I'm not using a raft and just a skirt to purge the nozzle first.

Pics of print, 128mm long, 70mm wide, 100mm high.
    Print came unstuck off the bed with no effort, just lifted straight off, no warping but I do need to start and tackle setting the retraction in the slicer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 08-04-2021 at 05:21 AM.

Hm. I'm seeing a lot of folks running much higher bed temperatures. The 80C is default on the Ultimaker for ABS. I'll try the same print/filament and raising to 94C and pre-heating a bit longer. I'd like to get reasonably good at printing reasonably square items without mouse ears, brims, etc. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Don't forget, no part cooling fan.

Few days ago I had some PLA warp up off the bed. Moved bed temp from the recommended 45 up to 60, that cured the warping off the bed.

I've gone right off PLA, I get a much better finish with ASA.