Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I noted your concerns about the rotary movement and investigated as I am very interested in Blacksmith Genesis Product. I found that the tangential speed, which is proportional to the radius of the disk, will be increased as the radius increases by lowering the rotational speed thus the disk will rotate slower when the printhead is at the edges of the circle, and increasingly faster as it moves towards the center. This seems to be adequate solution to coping with 3d printing and I am going to go ahead and get one via Indiegogo kickstart perk. Just hope they make iot to the goal so I cna get my 3d printer.

Oh By the way, I am not at all related or a friend of any of the Blacksmith Team.

Staff Engineer
    That join date, that first post... Yes, we believe you implicitly, Jubie.

The variable speed thing is not really that much of a problem, the problem is when you need to print a line right through the center. That tangential speed has keep going up the closer you get to the center to maintain a smooth printing path, obviously you're never going to need to print so close to need an infinite rotation speed, but you can get close enough to make the speed unreasonable. It was enough for the Reprap community to effectively give up on it, but of course, the whole problem is solved by not having continuous lines go through a region in the middle, and just adding that restriction into the slicer, which they may as well write specifically for this machine to incorporate spiral fill and other neat things a polar printer can do to vastly increase printing speed that a Cartesian printer can't.

Here are some videos of the machine printing:

Staff Engineer
    Wow, at first I thought these videos were sped up, but looking at them closer, I think the printer might actually be going that fast. What kind of extruder do they have that can print that fast?

They have stated today that production has begun because of the funding they have raised to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    That join date, that first post... Yes, we believe you implicitly, Jubie.

The variable speed thing is not really that much of a problem, the problem is when you need to print a line right through the center. That tangential speed has keep going up the closer you get to the center to maintain a smooth printing path, obviously you're never going to need to print so close to need an infinite rotation speed, but you can get close enough to make the speed unreasonable. It was enough for the Reprap community to effectively give up on it, but of course, the whole problem is solved by not having continuous lines go through a region in the middle, and just adding that restriction into the slicer, which they may as well write specifically for this machine to incorporate spiral fill and other neat things a polar printer can do to vastly increase printing speed that a Cartesian printer can't.
    I notice that the print in the video studiously avoids the central area...

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    it does look pretty awesome, i hope someone strips it down and puts up a youtube video on how to make one

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    Wow, at first I thought these videos were sped up, but looking at them closer, I think the printer might actually be going that fast. What kind of extruder do they have that can print that fast?
    They are sped up, you can easily see it on the reflections at the base of the printer in the last video, there's someone moving around, unless he is The Flash, the video seems to be at least three or four times faster than normal speed.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    I notice that the print in the video studiously avoids the central area...
    Yeah, I would expect that, you can't break the rules of basic geometry after all. That said, even avoiding the center, there is a plethora of good print area there that you can use on this printer. (I always thought the hole was a silly reason for the RepRap community to shun polar anyway.) Note that it is possible to print in the middle , just not lines through the middle. In theory, the printer can print a fill in the middle in a spiral pattern without breaking a sweat. (I don't know if their slicer can make that happen yet, but in theory it's the simplest fill you can do on a Polar printer.)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    They are sped up, you can easily see it on the reflections at the base of the printer in the last video, there's someone moving around, unless he is The Flash, the video seems to be at least three or four times faster than normal speed.
    I see that now that I watch the video looking for it. They really should have noted the video speed to be honest. Still, at a quarter of the speed, that's a respectable pace (just not astounding).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    did this thing ever get into production ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast