Thanks Clif .. that was exactly the type of information that I was looking for. Unless I missed something, both Cura and Fusion lock you into one layer height. So having control over that alone is worth a lot. I will definitely download Prusa and learn about it.

Curious-your points are valued and well taken. The one thing I respect with S3D is that it is a one time fee-in the wonderful world of research here in the US what grants you get one year may not be the same the next so recurring software fees do not template well. I think it makes sense for me to go with Prusa for now and consider Simplify if I do a lot of printing.

Regarding that--I have heard some good things about the Sapphire from you and Gambo (he gave me some good examples) and I probably will upgrade at one of the labs I work for using this type.

(Meanwhile my Ender-5 has been quite a workhorse for our lab-running about 10 hours/day. It is like a model T Ford-not too sexy and compromised but you can build the whole darned thing with 1 wrench which is great at times of low funding).

cheersFritz