Quote Originally Posted by minneapolis-matt View Post
Can anybody translate this earlier post into noob speak for me? Trying to self educate with google just get me gems like this:me: "What is a Z probe?"Google: "Product Details. The Z-Probe is a detachable component that simplifies finding your z-axis work zero position when setting up a carve. This kit includes a precision touch disc and a spindle clip to create an electrical connection when the bit touches the disc. It is fully integrated with X-Controller and Easel." - which turns out to not even be directly related to slicers.or I find 3d printing related reddit discussions which seem to imply, without directly explaining, that a z probe detects the z axis height of...the nozzle I guess? Anyway, some kind of dumbed down translation would be appreciated. Thank you!
There's a variety of Z-probes. On most printers they are permanently mounted just to the side of the nozzle. The BL-Touch is a good example of one (mechanical based), or the Prusa PINDA (induction based). They are used in place of a z-limit switch.

I don't think your printer has one, and what Autowiz would be describing is the Z-limit switch. Using his technique you'd home the printer (so the Z-limit switch was activated and Z = 0), but then set the bed a millimeter or so below the nozzle. Then use the slicer to adjust the bed a bit closer.

This technique only works if you have a limit switch/Z-probe that the printer can travel past. I don't like this technique as I feel the starting bed distance should not be defined in a slicer profile. I'd prefer it to be set at the printer (e.g., Marlin's babysteps), so that it can be adjusted directly.