On my printers I like to set the Z height a little high with the probe and then compensate with a negative Z offset in the slicer. I do this to the tune of up 3mm. And I do this so that if there is filament hanging down from the nozzle it will not push down on the build plate before the sensor gets triggered.

We can argue that with good start gcode we might warm the extruder before we home at the start of a print but sometimes we just want to home while we are servicing our rigs. And either way this method just creates a safe zone for the glass or other more delicate build surfaces we really dont want to grind the nozzle into.

I do this with my Big Red printer with the BLTouch. Even with that probe there is enough of a window between the probe hanging and retracted to do this. I can get a little less with the cheap ebay inductive probes and an aluminum bed.

Optical sensors by design are incredibly friendly to doing this as the flag can always pass right through the sensor. With the above options there is a limit to doing this that is based heavily on the stow/deploy distance difference or the height from the build plate in which the other sensors read.