Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well from the 'is an encosed printer' necessary point of view.
    Nope.

In the last few years filament manufacturers have come up with so many different materials that you can usually find something with the properties you want, that will print happily on an open frame machine.

My current favourite near-industrial filament is PET (NOT pet-g). It's almost as hard as pla while being almost as flexible and tough as nylon and pet-g.
    Prints well if not at pla speeds. No odour and - as long as you can find a supplier - as cheap as pla.

And if you do 'need' an enclosure - well some cheap expanded polysteryne sheets will do the job quite nicely.

From a dual extruder point of view - in this day and age - go with idex.
    I have a couple traditional dual extruders - and in 8 years I have printed exactly two dual extrusion things.
    It's a major hassle - you use as much filament in the purge walls as in the actual print and it more than doubles the print times.

I just design stuff that doesn't need supports - so much easier.
    Having two different filament loaded can occasionally be useful. But not enough to justify dual extruders on a single print carriage.
    Idex changes all that.

I did post my suggestion after your other post : https://www.amazon.com/TENLOG-Indepe...98&sr=8-3&th=1
    300*300*350mm /11.8''x11.8''x13.8''
    IDEX, silent steppers - linear rails and just the best specced I3 around at the moment.
    Yes, you're wife won't be happy - but find the extra $ from somewhere and tell her it cost $500 :-)

As far as resolution goes -the tenlog should be more than a match for the voxel.
    And like everything else that uses electronic components - it's just going to get more expensive in the near future. So really buying it now, is going to SAVE you money.
    :-)

OMG thank you.

The amazon reviews seem a bit ambivalent. Does anybody here have any experience with Tenlog customer support? I'd be willing to risk putting up with receiving a lemon from them if the prospects for fixing it up to advertised performance at a reasonable price were good but not if the risk of being saddled with an expensive crate of e-waste through no fault of my own were any greater than almost non-existent.
    Last edited by minneapolis-matt; 04-29-2021 at 10:25 AM.