Close

I have a question about Pellet Extruders for 3D Printers.?

From what I understand, Pellet Extruders take small pellets that you buy and melt them down into the wire used in 3D Printers. My question is, could I grind up old projects and use the bits as Pellets? Noob question, I know. Thank You!Update:Yes, I was considering ordering one of those. But, you in no way answered my question Bob.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    okay.
    The short answer is you could grind up unneeded prints. But wthout proper temperature processing of the plastic - which i doubt an add on hopper will do. The results will not be very good.

Where did you see a pellet hopper for desktop printers ?

Usually people shred the plastic and then run the shredded plastic through a filament extruder. Filament extruders are not that expensive - typically a few hundred. If you can get the pellets, or suitable shredded plastic, then having a separate filament extruder is probably more economical, and convenient, than trying to run them through a printer.

The major cost is the shredder, which usually costs a fair bit.

A really good resource for plastic recycling machines is https://preciousplastic.com. They have a variety of open source machines for shredding, extruding, injection molding, etc.