Close

Hybrid View

All good information..!!!

My tips as a two week Owner are:

1: Replace the Thumb nuts under the heat bed with M3 wing nuts. Your fingers and thumbs will love you for it...!!

2: Level the bed often. This will ensure you have a good base to work from. I designed a 100mm x 100mm square print that is 0.4mm high. This in theory will only print two layers using a resolution of 0.2mm. You can watch the plastic extrude, and can adjust the bed on the fly. Lumpy lines means the bed is too high. Plastic means the bed is too low. Aim for an even clean extrusion. You will see it...!!!!

3: Use a glass bed 9x7 inch with clip supports that you can print from Thingiverse.

Cheers...!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWayne View Post

1: Replace the Thumb nuts under the heat bed with M3 wing nuts. Your fingers and thumbs will love you for it...!!

2: Level the bed often. This will ensure you have a good base to work from. I designed a 100mm x 100mm square print that is 0.4mm high. This in theory will only print two layers using a resolution of 0.2mm. You can watch the plastic extrude, and can adjust the bed on the fly. Lumpy lines means the bed is too high. Plastic means the bed is too low. Aim for an even clean extrusion. You will see it...!!!!

3: Use a glass bed 9x7 inch with clip supports that you can print from Thingiverse.

Cheers...!!!!
    Thanks Geoff, that was a lot of very useful information, especially the part about print speeds. I hadn't considered the effects of running at accelerated speeds.
    Please keep the tips coming.

And thanks MrWayne, I took your advice about the wing nuts and hunted some down today along with some washers and WOW, what a difference it makes leveling the bed! $3.28 well spent.

If figured out now that I'm going to need a new build plate for sure, there is no way I can get it so there's an even distance between the head and the plate across the entire platform, whether its hot or cold...
    I'm concerned about the glass bed with clips option, I've read you need to always remember they're there or you'll run the nozzle into them during certain operations and my memory just isn't that good.
    I'm thinking about trying the borosilicate on CPU heat sink sheet, without clips. Yes/No ?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

Cheers...!!!!
    haha too right... I have the most horrible calluses on my thumb and index finger... I get so focused on levelling the bed I dont think about my fingers, and when I'm done I look down at the shredded mess of skin and think oh god...

Is the wingnut the M3 x 0.5 thread? I'm very interested to do this but haven't found a local store with these tiny wingnuts.

Would there be a benefit to leveling the platform while its hot? Seems this would be more accurate while printing but obviously there is some risk involved.

Do you guys generally see a lot of variation in bed adjustments after printing? I'm assuming this all caused by vibration and heat-cycling of the plastic base that the bed is mounted to?