Close

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Student
    The extruder is simple enough that I can't see how there's anything wrong with mine, unless both motors actually got suddenly weak. Seems like it might be a mainboard parameter got messed up or something...

How does the calculation for the amount of filament to feed get done? I actually have some steppers that are a little thicker (they'd fit), but I don't know the specs for the FF motors, so they might be a differnet number of steps per rotation, etc.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jgurley View Post
    The extruder is simple enough that I can't see how there's anything wrong with mine, unless both motors actually got suddenly weak. Seems like it might be a mainboard parameter got messed up or something...

How does the calculation for the amount of filament to feed get done? I actually have some steppers that are a little thicker (they'd fit), but I don't know the specs for the FF motors, so they might be a differnet number of steps per rotation, etc.
    It is extremely unlikely to be different steps per rev they are almost universally 1.8 degrees, 200 steps per rev.

What will be different is the impedance so power requirement will be different and the resonant frequency will also change though that is probably not going to be a problem.

Lots of useful information on this thread. Thanks! Somehow plastic keeps getting wound around my extruder feeder gear and causing it to jam and click. I've tried changing the temperature, making sure the diameter in Replicatorg is correct, and cleaning the feeder gear. Any idea what might be causing this? Is it the plastic, is something misaligned maybe? Or maybe, the fan isn't keeping the plastic cool enough before it gets to the extruder?IMAG0435.jpg
    Last edited by Amer11235; 10-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Student
    Unfortunately, the mounting threads appear to not be metric.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Amer11235 View Post
    Lots of useful information on this thread. Thanks! Somehow plastic keeps getting wound around my extruder feeder gear and causing it to jam and click. I've tried changing the temperature, making sure the diameter in Replicatorg is correct, and cleaning the feeder gear. Any idea what might be causing this? Is it the plastic, is something misaligned maybe? Or maybe, the fan isn't keeping the plastic cool enough before it gets to the extruder?IMAG0435.jpg
    You solved it yourself

That exact problem you are having is the exact problem I have with flexible filament, in this thread, check my picture lol, its very similar with the white wrapping around the gear. If that is PLA then yeah, its getting too Hot before it gets to the smaller hole and does not go in, therefore gets pushed around and the gear grabs it and does that.

There is a couple of ways you can go about this, I don't want to suggest swapping it out for a direct drive extruder without the spring, because you should not be having that issue with PLA. If it was flex filament, ok, yes we would need to swap the extruder type, but for normal plastic, to me it seems the top of your tubing is not insulated and is letting too much heat rise. Unfortunately on my old flashforge, we dont have the PTFE tubing, its a direct stainless steel barrel that sits under the extruder, so I am unsure how much clearance you have or whether that tubing can be pulled up or extended to keep the top of the filament hole a bit cooler.

Cutting your filament on an angle also helps ALOT!

Wen you go to feed new filament in, cut it on a 45' angle, giving it a sharp end instead of flat, this just gives it a finer tip to enter that hole. Also, don't let it feed through the spring loaded gear. By that I mean, when you are feeding, make sure you press that spring down so there is no pressure on the filament BEFORE it makes it to that little hole. Push the thumb thing all the way down, put the filament in straight down and push. The gear is close enough to grip it without the bearing pushing against it. Its when you apply the pressure with the bearing all the troubles begin.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Thanks you so much for the prompt help. I recently tried leveling my nozzles and somehow got it supper stuck in a position closer to the extruder, and messed up the insulation around the nozzles. So, I guess it makes seance that it's getting too hot now and getting pulled in to the gear. I ordered a new assembly mount, so I'll be able to leave more space between the nozzle and extruder once it gets here. Could you please describe or post a picture of what it would look like with PTFE tubing? Just so I have a better understanding. Thanks for the tips on loading the extruder, and the link to the flexible filament thread. Flexible filament is going to be my next purchase. Awesome job with this thread, it have been extremely helpful!

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Amer11235 View Post
    Thanks you so much for the prompt help. I recently tried leveling my nozzles and somehow got it supper stuck in a position closer to the extruder, and messed up the insulation around the nozzles. So, I guess it makes seance that it's getting too hot now and getting pulled in to the gear. I ordered a new assembly mount, so I'll be able to leave more space between the nozzle and extruder once it gets here. Could you please describe or post a picture of what it would look like with PTFE tubing? Just so I have a better understanding. Thanks for the tips on loading the extruder, and the link to the flexible filament thread. Flexible filament is going to be my next purchase. Awesome job with this thread, it have been extremely helpful!
    I wish I could sorry, perhaps someone with a new flashforge could. As far as I know, the newer flasforges have a fatter steel pipe and a tubing piece inside to guide the filament down to the nozzle. It's just white tubing thats heat resistant. My flashforge has a 1.8mm steel pipe, which the filament goes down to the nozzle without any tubing.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    The nozzle and heat tube both have a 3mm bore. The Nozzle bore is just short of breaking though the tip, while the tube is 3mm all the way to the 1.75mm aperature at the top, again almost to top. If you have a solid set-up, you'll need to do some machining.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    If it was flex filament, ok, yes we would need to swap the extruder type,
    No you wouldn't, just wedge the tension lever open and flexible filament prints just like normal filament.

That is a weird issue though.

JFrost, how did you resolve this? I have the CTC Creator and its basically a copy of the Flashforge. Did you buy a new control board?

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast