yeah ! (lol)

Good choice, minimum mods, and just an awesome machine.
So glad you didn't go down the creality rabbit hole.

send me your email and I'll bung you my stl's and build notes.

You might as well put it together properly the first time - as you've got an m3d you can print the locking knobs and direct drive adaptor bracket in advance.
You'll need to wait till the machines built to print the filament holder - plus I'm going to make it a bit stronger as with a full kg spool the current spool holder will move slightly.

prusaslicar is probably the best free slicer for it - you just set it up as a bog standard i3.
I pretty much just use simplify3d -if you've got that I can send you my profiles.

I did do a couple of prints from prusaslicer, but need to adjust the z-axis movement speed as it was a bit too quick.

Apart from fitting the locking nuts, which is a bit fiddly as you need to peel the corners of the buld plate cover up to get at the bolts - the only slightly tricky thing is making sure the belts are as tight as you can get them.
And there are a few prints you can make to get that easier.

I did kill the original print surface so mines got a cheap sheet of self adhesive pei on it. Which is probably better. And I use a little print adhesive as I've got loads.

I wouldn't bother with the run out sensor - pretty much a part nobody should ever need. And it gives you a spare endstop.

I followed the build instructions in the manual and apart from having to swap my x & y stepper cables over - worked pretty well.
Still don't know if that was me looking at the belt diagram the wrong way up or their fault.

But it is an awesome machine.

Just the part quality and solidity of the frame really set it apart from everything else in the price category.

But drop me a line and we'll get you sorted :-)