Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Oh - now that's an interesting offer.

And, personally, having seen his work over the last few years - I'd take autowiz up on his offer.

With one caveat (lol)
    He's a pretty liberal spender with his own money.
    Lord knows what he's like with other peoples.

So just because he tells you that platimum coated linear rails with custom ground diamond bearings are the only way to go. Stick to your guns and just use conventional steel instead ;-)

But otherwise. hell yeah :-)

I'd still go corexy, as out of the four main fdm printer types - and I do own examples of all four: cartesian, delta, I3 and corexy. - corexy is hands down the best.

But unless you're in a hurry - it's a great idea !

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Oh - now that's an interesting offer. And, personally, having seen his work over the last few years - I'd take autowiz up on his offer. With one caveat (lol)He's a pretty liberal spender with his own money. Lord knows what he's like with other peoples. So just because he tells you that platimum coated linear rails with custom ground diamond bearings are the only way to go. Stick to your guns and just use conventional steel instead ;-) But otherwise. hell yeah :-)I'd still go corexy, as out of the four main fdm printer types - and I do own examples of all four: cartesian, delta, I3 and corexy. - corexy is hands down the best. But unless you're in a hurry - it's a great idea !
    AutoWiz sounds like a wild card when it comes to how much it will cost.Which one you likehttps://www.amazon.com/s?k=corexy&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by cf_pro View Post
    AutoWiz sounds like a wild card when it comes to how much it will cost.Which one you likehttps://www.amazon.com/s?k=corexy&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    I thought I was very clear in my quote for 'a whole lot of money', lol. But you did say $2k budget. And I can build that. I mean we will still have my labor to deal with over and above that but I could put 2k into a rig without breaking a sweat. I mean we could put a grand into rails, half that into an extruder and that same amount again into a good frame and thats 2k right there. I am a little over 3k into the Multi Widow. It is a good feeling owning and using a high dollar rig. In this crazy world where so many think their skills or wit can somehow trump a poorly made cloned part the actual reality is these printers are no better than the sum of their parts and a lot of people don't seem to understand that poor quality metals rust easier and faster and that rust pits the metal bearing surface. It's not always a matter of grinding on this or that the cheap stuff is all around cheap. Even with the very materials it is made from. And every company that manufacturers these printers does so with the absolutely lowest price parts they can source which both keeps the price down and also keeps them from seeing the reliability they need to break into the land of mainstream. To buy any off the shelf printer is to scrape the bottom of the barrel in the land of 3d printing just for this reason. And it is also why the best machines you will see are the ones built by enthusiasts like me.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 02-22-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    I thought I was very clear in my quote for 'a whole lot of money', lol. But you did say $2k budget. And I can build that. I mean we will still have my labor to deal with over and above that but I could put 2k into a rig without breaking a sweat. I mean we could put a grand into rails, half that into an extruder and that same amount again into a good frame and thats 2k right there. I am a little over 3k into the Multi Widow. It is a good feeling owning and using a high dollar rig. In this crazy world where so many think their skills or wit can somehow trump a poorly made cloned part the actual reality is these printers are no better than the sum of their parts and a lot of people don't seem to understand that poor quality metals rust easier and faster and that rust pits the metal bearing surface. It's not always a matter of grinding on this or that the cheap stuff is all around cheap. Even with the very materials it is made from. And every company that manufacturers these printers does so with the absolutely lowest price parts they can source which both keeps the price down and also keeps them from seeing the reliability they need to break into the land of mainstream. To buy any off the shelf printer is to scrape the bottom of the barrel in the land of 3d printing just for this reason. And it is also why the best machines you will see are the ones built by enthusiasts like me.
    Sounds like I would be going over my budget of $2k and I am not sure if I would get support.