Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    They will ALL have good print quality.
    these days that's pretty much a given.

Some will produce results at a slower print speed, but generally quality isn't really a major issue with a decent machine.

qidi have an excellent reputation and are quality machines.
    As - on the whole - are flashforge.

Okay so what should you be looking for ?

If you are planning on printing with polycarbonate at any point then a 300c hotend is essential. Yes - technically - you can print it with a standard 260c hotend. But it's not ideal and it will burn your ptfe tube out really quickly.

IDEX - idex is the best way to do dual extrusion.
    It means two printheads, each moving independently.

Huh, had no idea flashforge had launched another idex machine.

Good price too.
    It doesn't have high temp hotends - so you're still 'limited' to a max 240c print temp.
    However that would include the right kind of nylon with carbon fibre stiffening.
    So realistically, it's not a huge loss.
    If you can stand the stink and calculate the shrinkage properly, it should even do abs well.

The flashforge creator series are mosty based on the original makerbot replicator design (as are most of the qidi machines).
    It's the most copied design in 3d printing history for a reason.
    The printers are not fast. But they are solid and unflinching workhorses.
    And there's always a chance that flashforge will release a hi-tenp set of extruders.
    They have for most of their other mid to top end machines.

So on balance, yeah the creator pro 2 would be an excellent machine for you.

Looking at the extruder, changing the nozzle is a standard: heat nozzle, unload filament, unscrew old nozzle, screw in new nozzle, reload filament - operation.
    They look like standard brass nozzles that can be had for very little money indeed.

The print volume might not look very big, but you'd be surprised at just what you can fit on there. The 9 inch width really makes a difference.

Alas i don't currently have an idex machine. Just standard dual extruders.
    Pretty sure if i did have idex, I'd do a LOT more dual material prints. But with standard dual extrusion, it's more of a hassle than it's worth.

So thanks for giving me the heads up on the machine, and go for it :-)

I believe experimenting with ABS or other materials would be nice. I am wondering how well these enclosures can protect the outside world from all the VOCs. As I would not happily sit next to a printer doing ABS if enclosure can't offer too much protection.

As I can see the nozzle is kind of a standard - just learned that - it seems an MK10 type would be good for this machine.

I believe there are so many other printers I have not even checked, but will definitely look around a bit more but this FlashForge looks the best option so far