Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
yeah - basically any fdm printer can do either type. Without changing the nozzle - the standard fdm bead width is 0.4mm. So if you assume that the minimum edge width is around 0.5mm, you won't go far wrong. You can use a smaller diameter nozzle for a finer edge, 0.25mm is about the most sensible small size to go down to.But bear in mind an edge that thin would be quite fragile. I don' think you'd need to go finer than 0.5 mm. Though I suppose that would depend on how intricate the designs you wanted to make into cutters are. Personally I wouldn't touch an ender 3 with a barge pole taped to another barge pole held by a man with really long arms. But that's the result of spoending over three years trying to sort out the many hundreds of people who come to this forum with ender 3 issues.So for an actual recommended machine - what is your maximum budget ? And what's the largest cutter you are likely to want to make ?And as gambo says - creating a cutting edge that tapers is pretty simple.

Many thanks for your comment. I have checked couple of machines and as I want something enclosed due to the fact it will be in a living room (and have the possibility to experiment with other material types) and these are starting from 400-500 EUR, my budget is somewhere between 500-1000 EUR. I was looking at these machine as a first look: Monoprice MP Voxel, Da Vinci Jr WiFi Pro, Da Vinci 1.0 Pro, Up mini 2 (ES?) (this looks awesome but the build volume is a bit small 120 x 120 mm but would be OK for cutters and limited for larger experiments), Flashforge Creator Pro (2?), Up Box+ (and this is a bit out of budget). The maximum cutter size I would print is very small, about 4 x 4 cm so even the UP mini 2 would be OK for that.