Close

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    - What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    The most interesting thing I've seen is the use of 3D printers to print "exoskeletons" for parapalegics. This seems like such a perfect use of a 3D printer because it can be printed fully customized for each wearer, made to fit comfortably, and help soemone who is wheelchair bound to walk again.

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    My dream 3D printer would be capable of printing everything from abs to ceramics on one machine without requiring any special type of filament or bulk material. In fact, my dream 3D printer would allow you to recycle old and unused prints by melting them down and using them again.

- What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?

Quite a bit of things - printing a hearth valve, printing an organ (a ear to be exact), printing of a house and/or of a whole car, printing food, printing of a dress and even printing with metal (think bateries and motor parts)

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!

One printer that could print using various materials in the same time - plastic, metal, etc (in various colors of course). One add-on module for this printer should be able to revert one printed object back to constituents. Not happy with your end printed product, just revert to components and try again

Print medical replacement parts

- If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do?
    It would include a scanning function and be able to print in metal. Also, it would let you create plastic in any color you wanted by mixing dyes with plain plastic filament as it is melted.

I am master of architecture student working on self assembly and self aware robotics in architecture and i feel like we are making something amazing with 3d printing. It's not a self advertisement but i like what i am doing you can check the website to see what we are doing with 3d printing. www.hypercell.co.uk. And also there was a car in maker faire in NYC this summer you also need to check it out. Ahh one last thing the new memory foam material which is changing its material properties to elastic one after you print it solid, that's amazing i want more materials like that.

We are wasting so much time on printing every layer and it takes so much time to build huge models. If there is a way to create instant 3d prints , i don't know how maybe with multi, headed SLA printer with controlled distance it could be nice to create a full scale model in seconds after that it will be amazing to play with that machine. I hope there will be something like that in the near future because i wold like to see the thing i design in my hand to check it out and iterate it a few this in a day easily and i'm sure that i am not the only one.

https://twitter.com/coskucinkilic you can also check my twitter for retweets

-The most interesting things i have seen done with a 3D printer so far would have to be prosthetic limbs that are fully functional. This i feel can be a great thing in the future because the lead time for a functional molded prosthetic is quiet awhile. To scan and print one in a day would be awesome.
    -The thing i most want out of a 3D printer is to able to print precious metals into rings and such, so i could make my hobby even easier and wouldn't have to breathe in those fumes of burning solder and gas. That's all i can smell for days after i solder for a few hours. Plus there's less risk of injury.

Student

Interesting and dreamy

Most interesting:
    I am fascinated by objects with moving parts that are printed assembled, e.g., ball bearings, gear bearings, chains, captive objects, mechanisms, etc.

My dream printer would have the following capabilities in addition to the usual high resolution and strength attributes:
    a) print in full color
    b) print with rigid and flexible materials connected (like an Objet printer)
    c) print very fast, I mean really fast, like 30 layers per second
    d) inexpensive to buy and use, inexpensive, non-toxic, odor-free feed stock, prints at fairly low temperatures. Schools could afford to buy and run these.
    e) be classroom-friendly for young students.
    f) be easy to use.
    g) overhangs would be supported by the medium in which the print is made, not requiring any scaffolding.
    h) be bundled with a student-friendly CAD system.

If you are dreaming, may as well dream big.
    Last edited by problemchild; 10-23-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Occupation should read: consultant

Student
    This would probably be the SolarSinter project by Markus Kayser. It was fascinating to see the core concept of 3d printing applied in such a low tech (giant Fresnel lenses?) and remote (desert) situation.

With so many wide ranging ideas, it would be difficult to describe a single "dream printer". One fun example would be a 3D garden printer. You would need at least two nozzles, one for a soil matrix and one with a selective feed to select from a range of plant seed types. This could produce complex three dimensional gardens with plants potentially growing from any surface, even upside down. The planting depths of the seeds could be varied by species to accommodate a variety of growing behaviors, allowing for even growth at the surface of the model.

Changing gears at the manufacturing side for all of my designs, art as well as products. It is painfull but joyfull at the same time to be able to achieve the unthinkable before in terms of traditional way of making things.

Printers can print new materials that you can dye, or paint in more traditional ways to close the gap visually as well as from user side between cutting edge tech and understanding/natural habits of everyday consumer.

Thanks for the opportunity.

What is the most interesting thing you have seen done with a 3D printer or 3D printing technology?
    - 3D printed houses has awed me since I saw it. The possibilites this opens up for housing in poor districts, and just really quickly build residential areas. Amazing. 3D printing as such is cool, but on such a large scale as houses it is just Amazing...
    - If I could I would probably incorporate it into my house, and just rebuild and add more rooms as I need them

If you could build your dream 3D printer, what would it include and what would it do? Let your imagination run wild!
    - It would be huge! Once again thinking of the housing concept. To be able to print both small and BIG.
    - Ofcourse multiple extruders both plastic and plaster, and others eg. like the Discov3ry Extruder.
    - It should also incorporate a CNC mill, 5degrees (so it can mill out holes in walls for example so not only additive but also subtractive production could be done wihtout having to move the machine.
    - Colors isnt that important though... BUT you could always add a painter head aswell (spray or brush). Once again with 5degrees this is possible...
    - Having seen the position scanners used on milking machines (you said go wild) and how accurately they can find where an object is, this should also be implemented, so precision for where to add or subtract material would be impecable.
    - Also the scanner should ofcourse be able to scan object to 3D models as well, and then replicate them on the spot.
    - Imagine Building a car (has been done), but also at the same time building the Garage around it... \O/

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast