Most of us went thru the exact same experience, we were not blessed with a perfect print every time.
We had to learn that the first layer height is in a small range that is hard to achieve. Especially when trying to adjust mechanical sensors or switches.

I found several ways to make this simpler to achieve.

One: I created a mechanical proximity sensor slide mount with a thumb screw to be able to adjust these tiny differences in nozzle height,
this allows me to turn a thumb screw to make microscopic adjustments to slowly get the nozzle into that perfect height.
When achieved I can print many weeks or even months before readjusting. Then the nozzle height process starts all over again

As the mechanical sensor adjustment is a slow process and requires many tries to get the nozzle into the correct position.

Two: I have set the Baby Steps enabled on my Marlin firmware this way I can use the LCD in order to nudge to nozzle or baby step it into position.
This adjustment occurs at the beginning of every print using the LCD control to nudge or baby step the nozzle into place,
this process occurs during a skirt that is printed before the model printing begins.

Three: I use both process along with other mechanical bed leveling techniques to get the bed as close to level as possible then final software Auto bed level.

As stated I make microscopic changes to the nozzle using the Baby Steps while the skirt is being printed until that perfect height is achieved.
Note: I keep track of the distance changed from the LCD to get this nozzle height, an after many weeks of practice have determined this number can be translated into
a fraction of how far to turn the thumb screw and in what direction so to more quickly adjust the mechanical proximity sensor slide mount.

Simple with logical steps that can be made with precise adjustments, when manually adjusting a locked switch, repositioning switch we cannot guarantee accuracy.