Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    see now - why didn't you start with that in your other thread ? Rather than come across like a nutter with a disease fetish ?

Yeah the stratasys machines do have a reputation for plug and play.
    I guess you need to offset that against the ongoing costs and the total lockdown of their 'system'.

And like I said the standard dual extruder setup - can be a real sod if it's not absolutely perfectly setup and calibrated.
    The oozing is usualy dealt with by a huge amount of wasted plastic in a purge wall.
    And it really does depend entirely on what slicer you are using.
    I have never once, in over 5 years, mamaged to get simplify3d to get my rep clone to produce an acceptable dual nozzle print.
    Whereas with flashforge's flashprint - it's an absolute doddle and works great every time.

IDEX machines are quite different - and while you still have the ooze issues - as you are not dealing with two nozzles that cannot be seperated - the unused nozzle can bugger off out of the way and ooze in peace on the sidelines. Then the nozzle is wiped before that head returns to print. Essentially you have the advantages of as single extruder setup - but with the ability to use two materials at once.

From your point of view - the ultimaker might be the better option. They are optimised to run with cura (so you don't have to do all the fiddling about that non-ultimaker cura users have to do) and they are most often sold for light industrial service.
    You do pay the 'industry/business' premium. But if they didn't do the job - people wouldn't pay it.

And they're still cheaper than stratasys and do not have a locked down system - quite the opposite.

We don't get that many ultimaker owners round here - and as 80% oif the threads on here are: 'I have this problem...'
    That's probably a very good indication that most ultimaker owners, don't rebuild their machines every 10 minutes, have to modify them or have many issues in general.

I'll put in a word for the Leapfrog bolt :-)
    It remains my all time favourite fdm printer and one of the sturdiest builds I've ever seen.
    It's expensive - but awesome :-)
    https://www.lpfrg.com/products/leapfrog-bolt-pro/

Bikeracer2000 has really high standards and does not tolerate things that don't work - and if he's happy, that's a pretty good recommendation.
    We also don't get many raise3d owners round here - so same criteria applies as to ultimaker.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-17-2020 at 09:03 AM.