Close

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    wow that extruder is not cheap - but looks like a decent bit of kit. Did you get an actual microswiss or a clone ?

And the duet was definitely massive overkill.
    Again: original or clone ?

I am curious why you bought a cheap printer and then more than doubled the cost with add ons - rather than just buy a better printer that didn't need anything added to it ?

Lots of people do this - and I've never really understood why.

It's a bit like amateurs who overclock computer chips. They spend a couple hundred quid on a water cooling system and then over clock the processors - when the money they spent on the cooling could have been used to juist buy much faster kit that would make a faster system without any overclocking.

To me it makes very little sense.
    Totally agree with you about the overclocking the CPU or overclocking their graphics card. I build about two computers a week for customers and gamers. And I tell them don’t even think about overclocking it. You can overclock it in 3 to 4 years when your parts are getting old and you need the extra speed and you don’t wanna upgrade. Also The printing size is massive on this printer. 350 x 350 x 400. You have to spend close to $1k to get larger than that. And upgrading is the fun part. I like tinkering with stuff. What motors do you recommend for this printer to take advantage of the 256 stepping? Which brand should I go with? Or should I bother replacing them? Would there be a difference with a more expensive motor compared to these? ARe the stock ones able to take advantage of the 256 stepping? The motors are cheap so I don’t mind. I looked on Amazon at stepper online motors. Even if I bought a more expensive one that has the same bed size or bigger, I would have definitely put some upgrades into that too. I didn’t spend that much on the upgrades. Just a couple hundred bucks. I also ordered the laser engraver for it. And also little parts like the nuts on the big screws that make the bed go up and down. Changed the tube to Capricorn even thou it’s direct drive, it still utilizes the tube to for from the DD assembly to the filament sensor. I will post pics probably on Saturday or Sunday when I’m done with all the upgrades. I’m definitely gonna need some help with setting up the firmware if anybody is up to helping me out on that and is knowledgeable in it. I wouldn’t have change the screen if the stock one was compatible with the duet. Since it’s not, I had to replace it unfortunately
    Last edited by Shatty; 11-05-2020 at 01:30 AM.