Quote Originally Posted by fred_dot_u View Post
I might be one of those you've read who suggested that support is good. My reference for the level of support is different from yours, I believe. If I get an answer in a day or two via email, from an operation on the other side of the planet, I consider it superior to an answer that takes three, four, five or seven days to arrive.

It's great that they will swap out your mainboard. It would not be a surprise to learn that another manufacturer attempts to evade similar responsibility.

The modification of the extruder assembly pretty much falls on your head. Attempting an unsupported modification to an established product is often risky. I hadn't seen any reference to the system you've described, which means I can't comment further on that mod.

If you decide to replace the mainboard with a concoction of your own choosing, you're opening a new can of worms.

I've had pretty decent results with my X-max but don't plan to jump into any modifications, other than to swap out to test the high-temp extruder for some first-time nylon prints.

Good luck with your repair.
Thanks for the insight. And you are right. They are responsive as long as it's their working hours, and they've been really helpful. Not complaining there, just wish they had more localization is all.

They are in fact sending me a replacement original motherboard, but I've seen specific mention of upgrading the extruder to a Flexion Extruder (which is a high end extruder, and also support some different filaments in addition to the standard ones), with an E3D V6 Hotend (24V). The reason, is that the design of the QIDI hotend is not the greatest, and when you need to get down to finer detail, hotter temperatures for different materials (i.e. Poly, Nylon), the stock just don't exactly cut it, and prone to warping. Additionally, people have mentioned upgrading the motherboard to a Duet2Wifi and a BLTouch auto bed leveling sensor... but that last one is kind of unnecessary unless you update the motherboard I believe.

I don't think you're necessarily making a "concoction" just a better version. The main concern is the extruder which is what started the whole mess. But I'm mystified as to why the motherboard went bad after booting for the third time. Nothing changed.... it just went "poof"