Close

Thread: My First CoreXY

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin_au View Post
    The physics of the thermal gradient across the heatblock is not exactly magical. There is definitely a sound physical basis for a limit imposed by heatflow.Travel and print speed settings aren't the highest priority from an acceleration and jerk perspective. Turning corners is the main concern. Your printhead speed drops to 0 every time it changes direction on solid infill, or goes around a 90º corner.
    Not that I've ever noticed. And i still watch prints a fair bit - after all these years, I still find the whole process fascinating.
    Given that your thermal gradient calculations are nonsense comnpared to my normal print speeds, somebody's got something wrong.
    Over the years the quality of even the cheapest pla has massively increased and whatever mysterious undisclosed additives are being used, have definitely improved viscosity and flow as well as the temperature gradient the material can be printed at . So maybe they 'calculations' still using old, redundant values.

does the firmware make a difference to acceleration and jerk settings ?
    I think the corexy is on a customised version of marlin - but all the other machines use different firmwares. And I'm not a fan of marlin at all.
    I'm tempted to try smoothie ware on it - but, hey why change what isn't broke :-)

@autowiz lol The settings in that screen grab were actually for a 120mm/s print
    Sometimes i remember to change travel speed - sometimes I don't.
    And with flexible filaments I always have every setting at 100% whatever the main speed is.

I really need to do some proper temp and flex testing with pet.
    Those prints I did the other day were just weird, and I got to thinking - had I changed anything ?
    Honestly don't know. But one lot were a lot more brittle than pla and the other lot bent and flexed like nylon. Both sets looked identical.

It's really only of any use to me if I can guarentee the 'tougher' version is the result of the print.

have a look at my little 'turbo' nozzle setup I use on the delta.
    It's one 30 mm fan and it cools a 0.5mm wide bead at 0.4mm layer heights and 150mm/s 210c - without any problems.
    The entire thing weighs in nat around 10 grams

It uses a tapering, focussed nozzle with inlet holes.
    The theory being that the air going down the nozzle is faster and thus lower pressure and less dense than the air outside the nozzle, so extra air is sucked into the nozzle increasing the overall air flow.

I've never seen anyone else use a similiar design. I also like that I can switch and change nozzles should I ever need to.
    Like many things I make - it's based on logic, mostly logic works :-)

It's the same principle that aircaft wings use to generate lift.
    All I can say is that I get a lot more and better cooling than any other setup I've seen for the delta. And if it works, don't change it :-)
    Use a couple of focussed turbo nozzles with a pair of biggish turbofans - and you should have some serious cooling effect: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2386628

Oh and these things were printed at 150mm/s and 0.4 layer height. rough but functional. It says 100mm on the page, but mostly i use 150 - I might have put the posh ones up for the photos: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2597201
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-09-2021 at 10:59 AM.