Close

Not getting smooth prints(has brittle looks). Can it be an issue of Filament Quality?

When I started printing first on my new Ender 3 V2 with no prior 3d printing experience, I was getting nice prints. But now the print quality has is so deteriorated I can't risk printing bigger models.. The prints look very brittle in nature.. I don't know what exactly it is called, may be under or over extrusion. Please suggest what to do to get rid of such prints!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    At first glance, I'd guess underextrusion, but there are so many other aspects to consider. Have you kept the filament (what type are you using?) protected from humidity? Is this a new type or new brand of filament? One of the easier things to change would be to push the temperature up 5 °C to see if it improves the build.

Engineer-in-Training
    That looks very like a problem with the filament either very wet through water absorption or just plain old duff filament. I would try drying the filament first!
    I must say in my short history of using 3d printing I have never seen anything that bad and I use nylon and ABS almost exclusively and they really do absorb water!!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    could be any number of things.
    so first can we have some information before leaping to conclusions :-)

print temps , speeds, etc
    Also is the extruder makign any extra noises ? Little clicks in particular.

Is it a new roll of filament ? is it a new brand ?
    have you changed anything else ?

basically you cannot give too much information :-)

Off hand I can think of at leats three things it could be that have nothing to do with humidity or moisture - that's fairly rare and usually indicated by little 'popping' noises from the nozzle - or if you've been soaking it in a pond actual puffs of 'steam' - although that's pretty much only ever going to be cheap nylon.

So more info please :-)

Staff Engineer
    @curious aardvark, I have some filament I purchased from a local Craigslist advert. Five bucks a kilogram and almost all of it was as much as five years old. The zipper seal bags were abraded, no protection from humidity in that respect. It prints horribly if I forget to dry it, but once dry, does a decent job. No popping though. Only my PVA has done that.

I agree that much more information is needed, otherwise it's all guesswork.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    $5 a kg !
    Hell that would be good even if it ended up being garden strimmer line ;-)

I've had rolls of filement hanging around in mmy workshop for almost as long.
    They usually porint quite well - so it's one of those 3d printing issues
    You not only have to take into account the machine and how it's used. But also where it's used and basically there are any number of factors.
    But wet filament from someone using pla who's not had the machine long - is unlikely. particularly when you look at the machine and all the other things it could easily be.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I have ABS and PLA filament that is 3 years old, it is kept in storage containers with Moisture Eliminators in each container.

So far when i pull out a partial used roll it prints as well as one delivered today.
    I find the Moisture Eliminators at my local dollar store, and they a well worth the money I spent

Moisture.jpg

So far I have to replace the Moisture Eliminators about twice a year to keep them working correctly

So I am a newby and occasionally have clicking (or popping noises) from my Nozzle resulting in rough looking plastic (bumpy, small voids), what is that caused by?

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Idaho View Post
    So I am a newby and occasionally have clicking (or popping noises) from my Nozzle resulting in rough looking plastic (bumpy, small voids), what is that caused by?
    Moisture in Filament try drying the filament

Moisture in filament