Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I guess I'm more resourceful than I thought then...

Via 4 x $6.29 part, high torque metal geared servo, an ATtiny mega chip for $5 (provided you have a preexisting arduinio or similar to flash the tinyMega) some good eyesight, the IR sensors from a VCR and it's remote and a fine tip soldering iron.

OR even better - go and dumpster dive at a phone company and grab 4 spare handset lifters, each of which contain metal geared servos that have over 1kg of torque (as in real torque, not this BS hobby torque rating), more than is required for levelling screws.

OR if you have an extra $50, google for the guy that hacked a Gibson robot guitar and shows how to re-create the winding mechanism for your own auto tuning guitar - a mechanism that simultaneously and individually adjusts between 6 and 8 tuning knobs. We only need to worry about 4, and we are not tuning the thing, we are getting it level.

OR you could use an arduino and a laser pointer and a reflective reference and just use your fingers for less than $30.

I could go on... But these are 3D printers yeah, essentially you have a machine that can create the entire system housing for you, you are simply adding electronics and assembly. I am building my prusa on friday, I will add an auto level to it for as cheap as I possibly can. I will make it independant seeing the prusa doesn't have a raising Z level.
You seriously should do an Instructable. I wouldn't even know where to start with any of that, but it sounds amazing. If your prusa is done, will you upload pics?