Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    One thing I haven't mentioned is how long it takes to get to temperature.
    The new firmware has a 'preheat' button - one for pla and one for abs - which I'll probably eventually use for pet-g.
    Because it heat the bed and printhead up at the same time. To go from ambient room temp to 65c bed and 200c hotend take exactly 2 minutes !

That's bloody quick.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the 100mm/s pet-g looks pretty good.
    My cooling settings have been left - so 0% for first layer and 100%b for all subsequent layers.

So I'm running the same print on the delta with white pla and same speed.

Curious to see if fast pet-g is noticeably stronger than pla.
    No actual scientific tests here - just a pair of crushing pliers.

well that was interesting - and children, before you destruction test pla - PUT ON SAFETY GOGGLES !
    Umm, yeah the pla thin walled shape did not deform it just exploded and a bit did bounce off one of my eyeballs.
    The solid pla piece was just totally non-deformable. The pliers won't touch it.
    The 100mm/s petg - was not only a better looking print than the pla. With no stringing and sharper lines and zero blobbing. But while it will crush, it does not shatter. The solid basically ends up looking like a piece of mangled chewing gum. So layer adhesion - excellent, actual strength - nowhere near the pla.

Really interesting, as I've never done this kind of comparison test before.
    I'll stick some pics up in a bit.

But this pet-g is really interesting stuff - not at all what i was expecting.
    I can see it being really good for things like boxes with tight fitting lids.

I'll try a 75mm/s iris box next i think.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-17-2020 at 09:20 AM.