Close

Hybrid View

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    please forgive my ignorance. What is BVOH? And also let me ask you do you think it is easier / more reliable to use the chameleon or those ptfe tube splice things to get multi material printing like your other setup? Or are you finding they are 2 pretty much equal but different ways of going about the same thing?

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    please forgive my ignorance. What is BVOH? And also let me ask you do you think it is easier / more reliable to use the chameleon or those ptfe tube splice things to get multi material printing like your other setup? Or are you finding they are 2 pretty much equal but different ways of going about the same thing?
    BVOH: https://www.3djake.com/verbatim/bvoh-white. Soluble filament, usually used for supports as it is water soluble. When used properly, overhangs look almost as they were printed against a solid surface. Similar to PVA, but in my experience better, adheres better to the main filament. I had some problems with PVA, with small details PLA and PVA didn't work very well because PLA didn't stick to PVA very well.

About setups, hard to say which is better, each have their pros and cons. The splitter type of setup is quite easy to get going, especially the typical '2 in, one out' since most of the mainboards have 2 stepper drivers for extruders so it is quite universal solution. But it is inherently bowden setup so getting good quality out of it might be harder. Also software support (purge towers, filament change sequences, filament types etc.) and enhanced features like automatic loading, filament sensors are practically up to the user to implement the way they see fit.
    MMU2S on the other hand is a highly specialized product and has some limitations about what printers can use it. But it does have good features all around, sw and hw and the fact that it detects if there's a problem most of the time will save you from failed prints. Not allways as I've seen, but far better than the other printers that are totally sensorless and will keep going happily until the end of print whatever happens.

Both suffer from the fact that the range in filament quality will make it hard to get a perfectly reliable multi-material setup; I've seen it quite many times that even same brand filaments work differently in multicolor printing, one color does each material change without problems, but other might have occasional issue with feeding. Good rule of thumb is to stay away from cheap filament and stick to what works for your setup. I've no patience for this so I just throw whatever I have to my machines and see what happens