What our society is starting to forget about is that "long learning curves" are something that should be sought after, not feared. Many people and students are adopting a life philosophy that if something isn't easy to figure out, it's not worth pursuing. That's dangerous for our society. While there may be somewhat of a learning curve in 3d printing, it is one that can teach so many things to young minds.

It's the perfect culmination of Lincoln Logs, Erector Set, Legos and Playdough Factory layered on top of what drives all of their phones and Game Boys, programming. Even if you make nothing useful, you learn spatial relationships, construction fundamentals (if you build your machine), electrical fundamentals and a bit of coding. It's fun way to see these come together and appreciate the interaction. As I've watched my 25-year old son grow up I've watched a generation that lives in a 3D (game) world most of their spare time but they don't think in 3d and most can barely change a light bulb. Nothing ever gets fixed, it just goes in the trash and then a new order is placed on EBay. And he's a straight-A student, excellent athlete and is going to law school. I'm not bragging when I say that I'm just pointing out that kids who are inquisitive, plugged-in and successful, still are not learning spatial relationships and the thrill of learning curves. It's just not as important in our society as it used to be.

So I for one say, as soon as a kid has the manual dexterity to turn a screwdriver and enough vocabulary and cognition to understand that the most fundamental concept of a battery delivering power to a bulb in a flashlight, then they are ready to build and learn to use a 3d printer. Don't think of it as a manufacturing tool or a way around buying phone cases on Amazon, think of it as an invaluable mental stretching and exercising technique. It's as educational as it is fun. And, it will give them skills that they'll take forward for the rest of their lives as they perfect their aptitude for problem solving and navigating our ever so complex society.