Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, in my experience, threats to sue are 99% empty. The fact he doesn't respond to a serious inquiry suggests he's not serious. Also, if you're not in Texas, Texas law doesn't apply to you.

That said, this is a good reason to use handles for accounts that aren't under your real name.

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    Yes, in my experience, threats to sue are 99% empty. The fact he doesn't respond to a serious inquiry suggests he's not serious. Also, if you're not in Texas, Texas law doesn't apply to you.

That said, this is a good reason to use handles for accounts that aren't under your real name.
    Handles won't hide you from anything if the case was real. A lawyer would just have the webhost and isp subpoenaed to get your mailing addresss. Of course this would mean for a lawyer to have a real case and all the legal paper work for this to happen. Unless a user make his mailing address public or somehow finds him to hand the letter in person. He just has Jeff's mailing address because he was a backer which made it convenient to be easily sent a C&D.

Again I'm sure Jeremiah himself knows he doesn't have a case here. But it costs him nothing to serve a C&D letter to someone who doesn't know any better to shutup. Unless you are some competitor running some smear campaign and reporting falsefied information about them you are protected by the First Amendment. Do you know how many defamation lawsuits Obama would win if someone said anything bad about him?